Friday, July 16, 2010

Book on Sale!!

I was at Barns and Noble the other day just browsing when I stumbled upon some fantastic books that were right up my ally. It was apparently my lucky day as well because one was 50% off the the other down to ten bucks. The latter is a book on the basics of quilt making which I have been wanting to get into for a while now. My grandmother used to make quilts, sadly she's passed away before she could pass any of her know how onto me. However, her spirit lives on in my new found interest. The first book I mentioned is this amazing book of quilts made by contemporary artists. I'm not crazy about all of them but others are just amazing.
I can't believe my luck in finding these books the perfect balance of the basics and inspiration to take it to the next level. So far I have tentative plans for three quilts. In my basement I found a kit for making a quilt, with all precut shapes that my grandmother must have given to my mother years and years ago. Next I was thinking of making a blanket out of some old t-shirts. These two quilts are practice for my ultimate goal. That is to take my fathers clothes and turn them into a quilt. My father passed away a few months ago now. My dad was a taxidermist/artist and hunter. I thought it would be a beautiful way to remember him. Taking the colors and textures of his wardrobe and combining them into a blanket that can be used for comfort as well as remembrance.
I say these are my plans but who knows when it will actually be accomplished it may not be for a while. So far this summer I've been busy working my butt off at summer camp coming up with lesson plans for boys and a few girls ages 5 to 9. It's been a challenge, but good one. I might try to put together some of the projects me and my mom have come up with into a book.
Maybe I'm biting off more than I can chew but it's better than being board. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment